Gwenn Smith, Ph.D.
Dr. Smith's research is primarily focused on using functional imaging, particularly positron emission tomography (PET), to understand the regulation of monoamine systems in the pathophysiology and treatment response in affective and cognitive disorders. She is currently examining the role of monoamine dysregulation in geriatric depression and Alzheimer's disease.
- Oeltzschner G, Wijtenburg S, Mikkelsen M, Edden R, Barker P, Joo J, Leoutsakos J, Rowland L, Workman C, Smith GS. Neurometabolites and associations with cognitive deficits in mild cognitive impairment: A magnetic resonance spectroscopy study at 7 Tesla. Neurobiol Aging 2019; 73: 211-218.
- Barrett F, Workman C, Sair H, Savonenko A, Kraut M, Sodums D, Joo J, Nassery N, Marano C, Munro C, Brandt J, Zhou J, Wong DF, Smith GS. Association between serotonin denervation and resting-state functional connectivity in mild cognitive impairment. Hum Brain Mapp 2017; 38: 3391-3401.
- Smith GS, Barrett F, Joo J, Nassery N, Savonenko A, Sodums D, Marano C, Munro C, Brandt J, Kraut M, Zhou Y, Wong D, Workman C. Molecular imaging of serontonin degeneration in mild cognitive impairment. Neurobiol Dis 2017; 105: 33-41.
- Rahmin A, Salimpour Y, Jain S, Binder S, Klyuzhin I, Smith GS, Mari Z, Sossi V. Application of texture analysis to DAT SPECT imaging: Relationship with clinical assessments. Neuroimage Clin 2016; 23: e1-e9.
- Hirao K, Pontone GM, Smith GS. Molecular imaging of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2014; 49C: 157-170.
- Marano C, Workman C, Kramer E, Hermann C, Ma Y, Dhawan V, Chaly T, Eidelberg D, Smith G. Longitudinal studies of cerebral glucose metabolism in late-life depression and normal aging. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2013; 28: 417-423.
Primary Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Science